What you need to know about Anti-Aging SkinCare
The popular saying goes ‘Wisdom comes with age’, but so do wrinkles and fine lines. As we grow older, collagen production decreases, causing our maturing skin to lose elasticity. You may be able to stop a clock, but halting aging isn’t possible. BUT following a regular anti-aging skincare regime can aid in slowing down the formation of fine lines.
What causes wrinkles?
As we age the skin’s production of collagen decreases, causing it to lose its flexibility. Also, the skin loses its tendency to retain moisture and becomes dry and thin. The skin becomes prone to fine lines and wrinkles.
Other than certain lifestyle habits that cause wrinkles, some external factors are pollution and sunlight exposure.
How can you prevent wrinkles?
Everyone wants healthy and youthful skin, but like for every good thing, you have to put in a bit of effort. Though you may not be able to completely stop aging but incorporating a consistent day and night anti-aging skincare routine can help slow down the natural process.
The skin is the largest organ of the human body and it deserves loads of care and attention. Many people wonder when is the right time to start using anti-aging products.
How early should you start using anti-aging products?
It is recommended to start anti-aging skincare in your early 30s. Anti-aging beauty routines and anti-aging facials are the best remedies to hinder premature aging to an extent. Everyone has a different aging clock, so look for premature aging signs and decide to start the skincare your skin needs.
Anti-aging signs to look for:
- Your skin is feeling rough, dry, or itchy
- Skin starts to form fine lines and wrinkles
- Skin starts sagging or hangs loosely
- Formation of dark spots
- You notice your skin is thinning
- Skin bruises more easily
- Your skin is feeling sensitive
Anti-Aging SkinCare Regimen
When it comes to choosing skincare products for your skin, always read the labels and buy according to your skin type. Mild and chemical-free products are the best for our delicate skin. Let’s go over the basic steps to a regular skincare regime.
Cleanse– cleansing removes dirt, excessive oil, makeup, and germs from the surface of the skin. Use a gentle cleanser with a low pH to wash away the impurities and prep your skin for other skincare products.
TIP: Cream cleansers are gentler then foam cleansers. Look for skin loving ingredients like glycolic acid and hyaluronic acid and avoid harsh and skin damaging chemicals like sodium lauryl sulfate.
Exfoliate weekly- exfoliation is the process of removing the dead skin. It unclogs pores, boosts circulation, lightens hyperpigmentation and restores uneven skin-tone hence brightening the skin. Exfoliation also prevents acne and lightens dark spots. The best exfoliants for maturing skin are alpha-hydroxy acids (AHAs) like glycolic acid and lactic acid. Exfoliate 3-4 times if you have dry skin and 2-3 times if you have oily to combination skin.
TIP: always use lip exfoliators twice a week. Lip scrubs aid in ridding of dead skin, making your lips plump and rosy pink.
Toner– a toner restores your skin’s pH and helps retain moisture. Using natural ingredients like Rose Water and Aloe Vera benefit the skin.
Serum– serums contain a higher concentration of active ingredients and penetrate readily into the skin. The best anti-aging ingredients to look out for:
- Retinol– retinol is a Vitamin A derivative that helps skin regeneration and speeds cell turnover. Skin rejuvenation reduces the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles and dark spots. Retinol also smooths the skin, giving it a radiant appearance. It is used in the night time skincare which gives it time to work on your skin over night. Look for an anti-wrinkle cream for the night.
- Vitamin C (L-ascorbic acid)- vitamin C helps reduce visible skin damage like hyperpigmentation, dullness and uneven tone. It aids in diminishing and preventing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles by shielding the skin against environmental stressors, like free radical damage. It is used in the day time with a good sunscreen.
- Hyaluronic acid– hyaluronic acid is a super hydrating ingredient which is known to enhance the skin’s firmness and elasticity. It readily moisturises the skin, decreases the formation and depth of wrinkles. Having this in your day and night skincare products is a plus.
TIP: pat in the serum for a better result (do not rub it in). Belay Always Young Serum is a customer favorite these days for youthful and radiant skin.
Moisturize– moisturizing is the key step to healthy-looking skin. Even oily skin needs a moisturizer. With age, our skin’s tendency to retain moisture and it’s natural sebum decreases. It is crucial to nourish our skin with hydration. It keeps the skin’s texture smooth.
TIP: Look for a moisturizer that contains water-binding humectants like hyaluronic acid and glycerine.
Also when applying moisturizer day and night, its important to include your neck and hands. We don’t want to neglect other parts of the body.
Eye Cream– the skin around the eyes is as gentle as it is dry. It is prone to eye side wrinkles and fine lines, under-eye bags and dark circles. Using an eye cream with Vitamin E and hyaluronic acid helps reduce under eye puffiness, dark circles and the formation of fine lines.
Sunscreen– exposure to sunlight and harmful carcinogenic ultraviolet rays is also a cause of wrinkles and skin damage. A daily application of a SPF 45+ sunscreen can help fade age spots, improve skin texture, and flatten out wrinkles. The sunscreen prevents the harmful sunrays from reaching the skin and causing harm.
TIP: always apply sunscreen 15 minutes before leaving the house, because it takes 10-15 minutes to active.
Also having a handy sunscreen tinted moisturizer handy is a skincare product. It’s convenient when you have to rush out of the house and don’t have time to put on two separate products.
After skincare there are other anti-aging prevention precautions we can take:
Eat a healthy and well-balanced diet– ‘You are what you eat!’ Add fruits and vegetables to your diet. Hydrating foods help rejuvenate and give you a radiant looking skin.
- Watercress- This nutrient-dense hydrating leafy green is a great source of calcium, manganese, potassium, phosphorus and various essential vitamins like A, C, K, B-1, and B-2 that enhance oxygenation of the skin. Watercress acts as an internal skin antiseptic and elevates the blood circulation to all cells of the body.
- Red bell pepper- this Vitamin C enriches antioxidant loaded vegetable helps protect the skin from pollution, sun damage and environmental toxins.
TIP: slice up the red bell peppers and eat them raw with a ranch or salad dressing for optimum benefits.
- Other foods like Papaya, Blue berries, Avocado, Broccoli, Spinach all contain anti-aging ingredients. It’s time to slow down signs of aging and radiant the skin from within!
Exercise– exercising regularly not only flexes your body muscles but tones your facial muscles as well. Sweating releases the toxins from the body and promotes blood circulation to the skin. Exercising gives you glowing and radiant skin.
Face Yoga– facial exercise helps tone the facial muscles and prevents sagging of the skin. Anti-aging facial yoga helps tighten the skin and gives to a firmer skin texture.
Skin protection– Protect your skin from the sun’s UV rays by wearing sun glasses and wide-brimmed hats.
Stop smoking– smoking speeds up the aging process. It causes wrinkles and gives your skin a dull and sallow complexion.
Avoid Alcohol– it dehydrates the skin and is rough on the skin. In time it makes you look older and causes fine lines.
Belay™ Always Young Lactobionic Acid Serum
Make You More Beautiful, Confident, And Glamorous
Professional Natural and Organic Herbal Extract Essence Anti-Aging Serum for Over 40s